If you’re visiting your mum at home this Mother’s Day why not take along some homemade treats made with delicious Dorset ingredients.
There’s nothing better than making Mother’s Day special, and there is something very special about having breakfast together, especially if it is a homemade one!
Fluffy American Style Pancakes with Jam
Makes 12-15 pancakes
350g self-raising flour
2tsp baking powder
2tsp caster sugar
2 large eggs
½ tsp vanilla extract
Jam – Available from our fantastic local producers here.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, caster sugar, eggs and vanilla extract in a bowl, whisk until smooth
- Transfer the batter into a measuring jug
- Heat a non-stick frying pan on a medium-high heat and coat the pan in vegetable oil with a pastry brush or kitchen towel
- Pour the batter into the frying pan to make a small pancake, cook each pancake until the bottom is golden and bubbles have started to appear around the edge, flip and cook until golden on both sides. This should take roughly 2 minutes per side.
- Serve each pancake smothered with your choice of Dorset made jam.
Afternoon tea sandwich selection
1 loaf of bread – Available from local bakers here.
For Egg sandwiches
4 eggs hard boiled
3 tbs Mayonnaise
Salt and pepper to taste
- Chop eggs into chunks
- Mix mayonnaise, mustard and paprika then season with salt and pepper
- Mix mayonnaise sauce with eggs and serve.
For Cheese, pickle and apple sandwiches
Slices of cheddar or similar strong cheese – get your cheeses here.
1tbs per sandwich of pickle of your choice – get your pickles here.
1 apple – finely sliced
- Layer slices of cheese, a layer of pickle and slices of apple
For Spicy sausage sandwiches
4 sausages cooked and sliced – get your local sausages here.
1tsp of chilli sauce – get your locally made chilli sauce here.
- Mix the mayonnaise and chilli sauce and spread on the bread
- Layer in sausage and tomato slices.
For the scones – Or get some from your local baker.
175g self-raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
40g butter, cut into chunks
1 ½ tbs caster sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
Egg or milk for glazing
Jam – Get yours here.
Clotted cream – Find local Dorset Dairies here.
- Heat your oven to 220c / 200c fan
- In a large bowl mix the flour, salt and baking powder
- Add the butter and rub between your fingers until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs
- Stir in the sugar
- Heat the milk in the microwave in 30 second bursts until warm but not hot then stir in the vanilla extract
- Using a fork mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients
- Make sure your hands are clean then flour a work surface and flour your hands
- Gently knead the dough on the floured surface until smooth, you could add dried fruit at this point if you like.
- Pat into a circle roughly 4cm thick
- Using a mug or a 5cm cutter, cut as many scones as you can, this mixture should make roughly 4 scones.
- Place scones on a baking sheet lined with baking paper
- Brush the top of your scones with milk or beaten egg
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes until risen and golden brown
- Serve with local jam and clotted cream.
Let us know if you make any of these recipes for Mother’s Day on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram and don’t forget to check our other recipes here. Make sure to check out our previous post for businesses offering home delivery of many essential items and treats here.