Sculpture by the Lakes - more than just a sculpture park
Sculpture by the Lakes provides a unique opportunity to experience the best that both nature and art have to offer. Described as one of the most beautiful sculpture parks in the UK, these 26 glorious acres are a haven for art aficionados and nature lovers alike. But there’s a lot more to Sculpture by the Lakes than just the tranquil setting and the beautiful artwork. We also offer a range of services and facilities all the year round.
The Gallery Café
Our Gallery Café is perhaps the most environmentally friendly eatery in Dorset. The vast majority of what we serve is either drawn directly from our own kitchen garden or sourced from local producers. Diners can glance up from their plates and see the kitchen garden in which their vegetables, fruit, and herbs were grown just a short walk away. We also do all of our own baking.
Given the hyper-local nature of the ingredients we use, our menus change according to the season. However, vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free menus are always available.
Three art galleries in one
In addition to the sculptures occupying the park’s outdoor acres, Sculpture by the Lakes is home to no less than three art galleries.
• The Gallery Café operates as a gallery as well as a dining space. The café showcases the two-dimensional work of a number of artists on its walls.
• Studio 1, adjacent to the Café, features Simon Gudgeon’s smaller sculptures, as well as paintings and drawings from visiting artists.
• The Barn Gallery is an exhibition space which hosts a rolling and varied series of art exhibitions throughout the year.
Venues and events
Sculpture by the Lakes has a strong community ethos. We’re not just an experience, we’re also a resource. As such, we have several venues available for hire, and many public courses and events throughout the year.
• Picnic venues. For a peaceful, private picnic, guests can book The Riverkeeper’s Hut, The Island, and The Pavilion. These are all beautiful spots which offer comfortable respite to hungry picnickers. If you don’t want to carry a heavy hamper around all day, you can pre-order your own picnic from the Gallery Café.
• The Retreat. Overlooking one of the park’s prettiest lakes, The Retreat is the perfect venue for weddings and other large celebrations.
• Mind, Body and Soul. The peace and tranquillity of Sculpture by the Lakes makes it the perfect spot to explore personal wellbeing. Different disciplines designed to heal the stresses of everyday life operate here regularly. We hold yoga sessions and retreats as well as weekly and monthly meditation groups, alongside shiatsi healing, qigong exercises, and sound healing.
• The Winter Art School offers inspiring courses designed to nurture your creativity. An on-going programme of garden-based practical workshops will hone your skills or teach you new ones. This year, the focus will be on Celebrating Art & Garden, but there is always plenty of freedom for students to express their own themes in their own way through the course.
• Themed festivals and events. Over the year, we have a number of themed weeks and festivals, such as our annual Summer Festival. Keep an eye on our website for details of upcoming events.
With plenty to whet your appetite, we look forward to welcoming you to Sculpture by the Lakes all the year round.